Callback form case study for an ambitious digital-first bank
How we increased revenue by £5.9 million for Aldermore Bank.
Aldermore is an award-winning, digital-first bank. Their digital team needed more insight into customer decision-making and behavioural drivers in order to increase the number of people completing their callback request forms. Previous changes they’d made to the website hadn’t impacted behaviour.
Our objective was to increase callback form conversion rate by 10% over 3 months.
We developed a programme of research and analysis designed to reveal deep customer insight, which then informed a programme of changes on the website callback forms to increase effectiveness.
Our process recognises that, in financial services, the customers’ purchasing journey may begin on the website, but the buying decision is often completed offline, sometimes weeks or months after the initial website enquiry.
These types of business are often selling complex products/services which require a deeper understanding of the customer than typical web analytics data analysis can provide. This meant we needed to innovate and create our own unique research and analysis framework to help these types of business improve their website’s conversion rate and sell more.
Our target audiences were the following segments (all looking for mortgages):
- People with poor credit
- Self-employed people
- First-time buyers
- Business owners
We wanted to answer questions such as:
- How are people behaving on the website?
- Where are people struggling and why?
- What do users think and feel when purchasing?
- What are the behavioural drivers?
- What do people want and/or need?
- What’s impacting decision-making?
- What choices do people have when buying this product/service?
- Does the website function as it should on all devices and connection types?
To answer these questions, we used:
- Deep Google Analytics data analysis
- Customer and staff interviews
- Customer service centre call listening
- Heatmaps, scrollmaps and screen recordings
- User testing
- Competitor analysis
- Quality assurance analysis
We considered all the areas of a business that interacted with customers and made a list of potential sources of insight. We involved all our team members from project managers, to analysts to designers so we could examine all our options. We knew that web analytics data and user research would tell us about website behaviour but we wanted to go deeper by extracting insight from the whole customer journey which could then be used to inform changes on the website.
Our programme of research and analysis revealed that many of the people in these audiences are high anxiety users because they are new to the process, have debt or are self-employed which complicates their case.
The changes we made
We helped users to complete the forms by:
- Reassuring people by telling them what to expect on and after the call
- Conveying that people will be speaking to a qualified mortgage advisor to build value/credibility
- Reducing the number of fields and improving field usability/validation rules
- Conversion rate uplift = 15%
- Additional revenue over 12 months = £5.9million*
- £393 returned for every £1 spent with us
*The revenue uplift is the client’s conservative calculation based on the data available.
What the client said
Aldermore was so happy with our service innovation they have commissioned us to completely rethink their savings account signup process to gain £1 billion in additional deposits annually.
Our service innovation allowed them to go beyond broad demographics and understand consumers’ behavioural drivers, wants and needs and be truly human-led, increasing borrowing and lending via call-back forms by 15%.
Adam Brassington, Head of Digital at Aldermore Bank said:
“Worship have been instrumental in helping to optimise our conversion rates. The success of our business relies on being able to effectively convert website visitors into leads. Through user research, heuristic review and analytics and design, Worship have increased form conversions by 15%. This has had a profound impact on revenue generation and the overall user experience. They’re a fantastic partner and an agency that I’d highly recommend!”
If you’re ready to increase the conversion rate on your forms, get in touch with our team on 0161 236 1188 or go to our contact page.